- Sleeps 12
- Six double bedrooms, all of which are en suite; two super king, three king and one double
- Six luxury stone and porcelain en suite bathrooms with invigorating monsoon or rain showers. Designer baths in two bedrooms
- Suitable for children and baby (two travel cots and two highchairs available)
- Up to two well-behaved dogs welcome* (see Visitors’ Notes)
- Pet-friendly room with underfloor heating
- Private cinema with Sky Movies and Sports
- Half a mile of lake frontage and 26 acres of private estate grounds
- Lake view terraced gardens with seating
- Barbecue terrace with all you require – just add food and drink
- Boathouse with private jetty
- Infinity terrace with lakeview hot tub
- Spa and Wellness Sanctuary
- Additional luxury concierge services available on request including arrival by helicopter or yacht; country pursuits; wellness & cosmetic treatments; private butler service; chauffeur services; in-house cuisine; classic car hire; sailing school; private flying lessons; and child’s concierge & babysitting
- Sweeping private drive with secure parking. Security gate entry system
- Welcome hamper, linen and toiletries
- Covid-19 measures* (see Visitors' Notes)
- Ground floor
Lake view kitchen with state of the art appliances, dining table and chairs seating 12 and stunning panoramic views of Ullswater and the fells beyond. With folding glass doors opening on to the infinity terrace ideal for alfresco dining on warm summer days.
There is a choice of sumptuously furnished lounge areas to spread out and relax in; the large drawing room with wood burning stove and magnificent view; the reading room with fell-side views and a super telescope to take in Ullswater’s wildlife.
Luxuriously comfortable private cinema room with a choice of eclectic designer seating and incorporating cinema surround sound, ultra cool mood lighting with a Blu-ray DVD player and Sky Sports and Sky Movies. From the moment you walk in and step on the deep shag-pile carpet the hardest decision you will have to make is what to watch.
There is a rich variety of other intimate and mezzanine sociable spots throughout.
Spa & Wellness Sanctuary with holistic laconium spa with aromatherapy option together with twinkling star lighting.
Pet-friendly room with underfloor heating and plenty of storage for boots and coats.
- First floor
Pikeawassa – Lake view double bedroom with 6’ super king bed with Vispring Elite mattress and en suite natural stone bathroom with raised bath and separate monsoon and raindrop shower. Soak up breathtaking panoramic views of the lake and mountains from 3 luxury spaces; your reading area, raised designer bath (with TV), or super king bed. Mood lighting.
Fusedale – Lake view double bedroom with 6’ super king bed with Vispring Elite mattress and en suite natural stone shower room with monsoon and raindrop shower. Overwhelmed by the panoramic views of Ullswater, watch the steamers come and go. Fusedale brims with style and elegance. Mood lighting.
Martindale – Lake view double bedroom with 5’ king size bed with Vispring Elite mattress and en suite natural black stone shower room with monsoon and raindrop shower. Overflowing with history, this room dates back to the 17th Century. Whether it’s bird spotting, deer watching or just relaxing with a good book, you will feel more than comfortable in Martindale.
Boredale – Lake view double bedroom with 5’ king size bed with Vispring Elite mattress and en suite natural stone shower room with monsoon and raindrop shower. Dating back to the 17th Century, Boredale is a truly unique bedroom offering unparalleled lake views, balcony and private access to Waternook’s Spa and Wellness Sanctuary and outdoor hot tub with lake views.
Hallin – Double bedroom with 4’6″ bed with Vispring Elite mattress and en suite natural stone shower room with monsoon and raindrop shower. This quaint and homely 17th Century room benefits from sensational views up Hallin Fell which towers above Waternook. Lay back and watch the Herdwick sheep grazing outside your window; counting sheep will do wonders to help you sleep.
Bonscale – Lake view double bedroom with 5’ king size bed with Vispring Elite mattress and en suite subterranean natural stone bathroom with bath and separate monsoon and raindrop shower. Overflowing with opulence, Bonscale is sure to surpass the highest of expectations.
- All bedrooms have:
Sumptuous “And So To Bed” hand-crafted beds
Vi-Spring Elite mattresses
Brinkhaus Pyrenean duck down pillows
Boutique quality linen
Flat Screen TVs
Integrated iPod music system
Integrated Bluetooth music capability
Natural stone bathrooms
Underfloor heating in bathrooms
Monsoon and raindrop showers
Villeroy & Boch bathroom fittings
- Underfloor heating, wood burning stove in drawing room
- Microwave, 2 dishwashers, 2 ovens, induction hob, coffee machine
- 2 fridges, freezer, salad drawer and warming drawer
- Red & white wine temperature storage
- Instant hot water tap
- Food waste disposal units
- Utility room/boot room with washing machine, tumble dryer, sink and underfloor heating
- The very best flatscreen TVs, including a TV in all bedrooms
- WiFi internet access throughout*
- Bluetooth hubs, mood lighting
- Sunken iPods in the walls drawing from an extensive bank of music
- Fully equipped barbecue complete with washing facilities and externally stored crockery
- Travel cot and highchair available on request (x 2 each)
- Dog beds provided on request
- Secure bike and canoe storage
- Security gate entry system
- Ample on-site parking
Spa & Wellness Sanctuary
- Soothing luxury, maybe between 4pm and 6pm with a G&T from your bar, a while to ponder life in the lake view hot tub, complete with underwater mood lighting and waterfall effect, admiring the ever changing vistas, possibly a spot of yoga on the infinity balcony/terrace and some more time to reflect in the holistic laconium with aromatherapy option together with twinkling star lighting. Assuredly by 6pm you will be relaxed and rejuvenated for the evening ahead. There is a stone monsoon facility on this level to freshen up when the mood takes. After all this we’re sure you will be feeling refreshed and relaxed but if you feel like an extra pamper, Waternook can arrange for specialist luxury beauty or cosmetic treatments.
Complement your stay with one of the bespoke services Waternook has on offer. Please contact us to discuss your personal needs, availability and prices.
- To make your occasion even more special why not arrange for a private chef and waiting staff to take care of your every need? A menu bespoke to you can be created, incorporating many fresh local ingredients. So, whether it’s a six course fine dining meal or more hearty home cooked food, the choice is yours.
- Whether it’s because you’re arriving late or just don’t fancy cooking, Waternook can provide an array of pre-prepared gourmet meals that are chef prepared and flash frozen to lock in the freshness.
- Waternook can arrange for your own private butler to take care of the detail, leaving you free to socialise.
- Waternook offer luxury hampers with a wide selection of locally sourced, seasonal produce to suit discerning tastes. Please let us know your specific requirements in advance of your visit.
- Guests can land their helicopter on its own Helicopter Landing Zone and there is private mooring for guests arriving by yacht. Please contact us if you wish to make this a special occasion and hire a helicopter. Fast and luxurious flights and lakeland tours that are tailored to your personal needs can also be arranged.
- A range of country pursuits can be arranged for your stay. These include the option to embark on local shoots, local clay shooting, private fishing lessons, private guided walking and pony trekking.
- Waternook are proud to offer an array of therapeutic massages, facial and massage treatments, private pilates and yoga classes and an array of cosmetic treatments performed by a registered nurse and aesthetic practitioner.
- Waternook can make chauffeur arrangements to suit your personal requirements, whether it’s to arrange pickup from the local train station (Penrith) or airport (Manchester) or a private chauffeur for the week.
- For a special occasion or private event Waternook can arrange for a unique creation, hand-picked and arranged with the freshest flowers to embody the message you wish to convey.
- Enjoy your great escape at Waternook and discover the fresh air and magnificent landscape of The Lake District by hiring a classic car. A range of classic sports cars from the last 50 years are on offer; Triumph Stag, Triumph TR4A, Morris Mini Cooper S, Morgan 4/4, Morgan +4, Austin Healey Frogeye Sprite, Austin Healey 3000.
- Working in partnership with the Ullswater Yacht Club (a Royal Yachting Association champion club) Waternook can offer an introduction to sailing and RYA training for those wishing to improve their skills for pleasure or for racing.
- Private flying lessons – Enjoy the thrill of a lifetime by soaring over Ullswater and The Lake District National Park in a Gyrocopter, plane or helicopter. Whether you want to experience the exhilaration of being in control, or you prefer the instructor to fly, leaving you free to appreciate the mountain views and even take some photographs – it’s entirely up to you. Please note flights are weather dependent.
- A Child’s Concierge or professional babysitter can also be arranged, allowing you the freedom and flexibility you want whilst giving you absolute peace of mind. All babysitters are OFSTED registered childminders.
- Folding glass doors lead directly from Waternook’s luxury kitchen onto an infinity terrace offering dining for 12 and spectacular views of Ullswater and the mountains
- Fully equipped lake view barbecue terrace complete with washing facilities and externally stored crockery
- A further terrace offers social seating outside on the Spa terrace – enjoy the serene views of the lake, mountains and all the wildlife around. With hot tub complete with underwater mood lighting and waterfall effect
- Boathouse with private jetty
- Access to the lake front of Ullswater Lake
Five Star opulence on Ullswater, Waternook is a 17th Century property offering exclusive luxury self-catering accommodation. Recently rated ‘Top 3 in England’ by VisitEngland Awards for Excellence, Waternook is quite simply outstanding and luxurious in every way.
Sleeping 12 over six luxury suites, Waternook occupies a sublime, secluded setting within 26 acres of private grounds and terraced gardens commanding simply breathtaking views of lake and mountain. Waternook’s dramatic setting is complemented by half a mile of private access to England’s ‘most beautiful’ lake, complete with a boathouse and private jetty.
Your Waternook experience is further enhanced by a private cinema room with state of the art technology, lounge and reading rooms; state of the art kitchen and dining terrace with awe-inspiring views; Spa and Wellness Sanctuary featuring Laconium and bar area leading onto the hot tub terrace.
Gazing out through the array of glass, or indeed in the fresh-air gardens with terraces, it would be easy to imagine this plethora of mountains on display have been carefully arranged to provide Waternook with the most spectacular views ever.
And you don’t just get stunning views - sleek sophisticated interior styling and perfectionist attention to detail ensures that this luxury self-catering home stay will inspire even the most discerning guest. Whether you are celebrating a happy event, searching for the perfect setting for an intimate wedding reception or just spending time with your favourite people, here is a magical treat delivering sheer luxury and matching your high expectations…
To complement your stay, the luxury self-catering accommodation offers an array of luxury concierge services. These range from private chefs and butlers to beauty treatments, personalised yoga lessons, sailing lessons and helicopter tours. In fact, Waternook is only too happy to help source your perfect activity or interest.
Your four legged friends are well catered for too, with luxuriously created accommodation in the boot room, which benefits from underfloor heating, facilities essential for pooch pampering and stunning fell views.
This magnificent private estate comprises Waternook (sleeps 12) and The Great Barn (sleeps 8). Both properties can be booked separately or as one (Waternook & The Great Barn) giving total exclusivity for 20.
It’s not surprising that Waternook keeps picking up award after award. Both properties have been rated ‘Top 3 in England’ by VisitEngland Awards for Excellence’ in 2017, Top 50 Best Cottages in the UK & No.1 in The Lake District’ by The Times and ‘Top 12 party pads’ by The Sunday Times. Rated Visit England 5 Star Gold, they won the 2016 Cumbria Tourism Awards as well as being featured on ITV’s This Morning and Lorraine.
Surrounded by stunning Lakeland fells, which are ideal for walking, Waternook is set amongst some of the most breathtaking scenery you’ll find in England. It is the perfect retreat for a relaxing get away and, for those thrill seekers looking for the next adrenalin rush, the perfect playground for adventure!
Nestled on the side of Hallin Fell there is an abundance of stunning walks to enjoy direct from your front door. If you would rather embark on your own Swallows and Amazons adventure there is a lot of Ullswater to explore and kayaks, canoes, paddle boards, motor boats and RYA sailing lessons can be arranged at the Ullswater Yacht Club. Waternook are also only too happy to arrange for private fishing tuition from one of the local qualified instructors.
For a day out with a difference, board one of the Ullswater Steamers which sail all year round and experience Ullswater in a completely different light. You can hop on at Howtown (just a short walk from Waternook) and trip around the lake jumping on and off at various locations including Glenridding, Aira Force and Pooley Bridge. From Glenridding you can take on the challenging trek leading up Helvellyn to Striding and Swirral Edges. Aira Force Waterfall boasts spectacular walks through the woodlands trailing alongside the rushing rapids.
Ullswater is one of many wonderful places in the Lake District offering visitors an experience that will be truly memorable. Unspoilt, untamed and bursting with everything the Lake District has to offer, it is a place that is relatively untouched by tourism and a place that offers a complete escape from our daily lives.
However you decide to enjoy your stay, you are certainly spoilt for choice, and there is certainly no finer place to escape to than Waternook for a memorable experience.
2019-11-11 J Hewitt, England
"Unbelievably Great House. 10 of us stayed here for 4 nights. A wonderful house in a breathtaking location. The communal areas of the house were large a spacious, so people weren't crammed together for the weekend. All the bedrooms are lovely with comfortable beds and duvets. The whole house was spotlessly clean, well equipped (especially the kitchen) and an absolute pleasure to be in."
2018-01-08 Dave2811, Coleford (Trip Advisor)
"My family and I (10 of us ranging from 7 years to 64) plus 2 dogs, booked Waternook across Christmas 2017.
Our expectations (given the fabulous web site including the newly added virtual walk-through) were exceptionally high.
Could Waternook really be that good????
We need not have worried, as every element of our stay was just superb and we cannot comment too highly on what Waternook has to offer.
The location is just superb, with a 26 acre estate nestled under Hallin Fell on the banks of Ullswater, with exceptional views from every room.
Fabulous walks in every direction, either on the relative flat of the lakeside, or strenuous uphill climbs, there’s no need to venture afar; indeed, I never used my car for a single day during our 7 day break.
The Howtown pier for the Ullswater steamer is within walking distance and therefore a trip up to Glenridding or Aira Force is easy again without use of your car.
With the property off the beaten track, we did not hear a vehicle noise for the entire week, enjoying a blissfully quiet week, other than the lapping waters of Ullswater and variable winds through the many trees.
As for the house itself; where do I start? There are 6 superb bedrooms, all en-suite with showers and 2 with baths, one a huge free-standing bath, with far reaching views over the lake.
All are exquisitely decorated and come with fittings (from furniture to fine curtains and bed linen), that you would expect from such a fabulous property.
The huge wonderfully equipped kitchen was a delight for a large family to work in and eating at a large table, with a delightful view over Ullswater and surrounding Fells, made for a superb way to enjoy our family meals.
The large but cosy split-lounge, with a superbly efficient wood-burner (which included a huge mountain of kindling, fire-lighters and seasoned logs to burn) was just charming in the extreme. The lounge also had a great stock of books, guides and games.
If that wasn’t enough, there were superb bonuses available too, a large private cinema room, which was well populated by a variety of age ranges for best part of the day, a bar and laconium (ideal for relaxing after a long day’s walking) and a fabulous hot-tub on the outside terrace. Relaxing here, with a drink in one hand, whilst staring-up at crystal clear night sky, engulfed in a million stars, is a memory that will stay with me for ever.
Dogs are well catered for too, with a super boot-room (under-floor heated, as is the kitchen and all en-suite rooms), ideal for keeping muddy boots and wet coats away from the main house and allowing them to dry naturally.
For the better weather there is also outdoor seating and an outdoor kitchen/bbq, we did not get to use this but it looked to be great quality.
Waternook comes with a hefty (but totally justifiable) price tag however it oozes class and allows for total relaxation in exceptional surroundings and I would highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for an extraordinarily high-quality holiday home, that comes with additional ‘bells and whistles’ that you would not normally expect.
I would also thoroughly recommend taking advantage of the private chef who is available to use at additional cost. Our chef Peter Sidwell, co-owner of the local Keswick Cookery school, arrived and prepared and served a 5 course meal, the menu of which we had developed with him, through Waternook’s excellent host Dominic Gordon.
Not only was an exceptional meal presented but he happily enjoyed the company of my daughter-in-law for the duration of his preparation and cooking (providing her with a much appreciated cookery demonstration!) but he brought along a pizza oven, allowing my young grand-daughters to prepare and (under close supervision) bake their own pizzas. In addition to the above, he also managed to wash and put-away everything as we ate (without use of the property’s 2 dish-washers!), leaving us with a clear kitchen at the end of the evening – just marvellous!
The entire booking was overseen with ultimate professionalism by Dominic and no stone was left unturned to ensure that we had the time of our lives and we most certainly did. Prior to our visit he was bombarded with a number of questions and requests but nothing seemed too much bother and his communications were always friendly and detailed.
So, there you have it. If you have to save-up to go, whether you take a lump-sum from your savings or pension, just go. Rest assured you’ll not be disappointed but be prepared for one down-side (as we have discovered) and that is… where to go in future, as nowhere else may live up to what Waternook has to offer."
2017-11-07 dodd387, Chester (Trip Advisor)
"Our entire family stayed here back in June (2017) and we were all lost for words with how much we loved our stay here! Unfortunately the circumstances surrounding our visit were far from great due to my dads declining health, he had stated his desire to have one more trip up to the Lakes with all the family. A place that is close to all of our hearts.
I honestly don't believe we could have picked a better place! The views, the accommodation, the feeling of isolation. It was really was everything we wanted and dreamt of. We only had a couple of days here, but it was a couple of days the entire family will never forget. We'd go back here for the views alone. The accommodation was beautiful and spec'd out to the highest order.
A special thank you goes to Dominic. My dads health had declined drastically prior to our visit, but he dealt with our situation with care and compassion and gave us flexibility that we're truly grateful for.
I'd recommend this place to anyone!"
2017-10-12 Claire2306, Poole (Trip Advisor)
"Came here in July for a family celebration. There was a group of us ranging in age from 15 to 85 and I was struggling to find somewhere to suit everyone. Waternook certainly met (in fact surpassed) the brief! A stunning location with breathtaking views, no one wanted to leave. The house itself has been thoughtfully remodelled, everything oozes quality. The teenagers loved the cinema room, we loved the spa with a glass of wine in the hot tub overlooking the lake and the dogs loved sunbathing on the deck outside. Dominic (the wonderful owner) arranged for chef Peter and his wife to come in on the Saturday night and deliver a sumptuous meal, catering for an array of dietary requirements including a vegan, veggies and die hard meat eaters!
If you're umming and aching, go for it, remember that old quote "the quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten" and i'm not easy to please!"
2017-09-14 Fabian D, Palma de Mallorca (Trip Advisor)
"Spacious yet cozy.. will definitely return! Great for a house party Most amazing setting regardless of the weather. Very relaxing, once you arrive you do not wish to leave. All rooms are of a high standard & the beds are extremely comfortable"
2017-07-28 suziepenrose, Wath (Trip Advisor)
"We rented the house for a family visit for a week at the beginning of July.
It catered so well for all ages, we enjoyed time in the hot tub, a swim in the lake, walks and runs straight from the doorstep and relaxing evenings both inside and outside depending on the weather. Even the dogs enjoyed luxury in their own spacious area - although if you are not a dog owner you wouldn't knoiw they allow pets at this property.
The house was beautifully decorated and particularly clean, with excellent facilities.
We will definitely look to stay here again, and may look to rent both spaces maybe for friends for a special weekend.
Our concern regarding the wifi not working on arrival was responded to within the hour. Excellent service.
Thank you for welcoming us into your beautiful house"
2017-07-22 Kevin N (Trip Advisor)
"Waternook is in a stunning location on the edge of the most remote shore on Ullswater. It has a lot of space indoors and outdoors, a good kitchen, cinema room and decent wifi. You can simply walk out of the property for great rambles. The steamer also stops nearby so you hardly need to use the car. Lots of good places to eat nearby. Dominic can arrange anything you want and we had great fun with kayaking, fly fishing and an in-house chef for the evening. We had a wonderful time."
2017-06-21 Laura H, Chorley (Trip Advisor)
"Wow what a house! Absolutely stunning location and the facilities and specification of the house could not have been any better! The layout of the house is very well planned and makes the most of the spectacular views! I particularly liked using the hot tub on the balcony. We had a family holiday with 8 adults and 4 kids age 3 - 7 who absolutely loved the cinema room in the evening! Everybody loved it and we all hope to return!"
OUR TOP 12 ULLSWATER ACTIVITIES
Ullswater is much more than scenic views and tasty teas around the lake – it’s all-action! You can click here to read our blog post ’Top 12 Ullswater Activities’.
The most popular pastime whilst at Waternook Estate is simply gazing out across the lake at the stunning Lakeland scenery, as William Wordsworth may have once enjoyed while composing the famous romantic poem, Daffodils. You might also like to stroll through the beautiful Lake District countryside that inspired Beatrix Potter to write her children’s books.
Waternook estate boasts a private jetty and boathouse and there are 26 acres of gardens and grounds with half a mile of lake shore where you may wander at leisure.
Ullswater is thought by many to be the most beautiful of all the lakes in the English Lake District, a serpentine body of water snaking a nine mile course under the lea of magnificent fells, woodland and mountain. Much of the lake, its shore and surrounding fells are accessible for visitors to explore, where you will find some of the finest walks and water activities, along with the amenities of the lakeside villages.
The area is excellent for either touring or relaxing and there are many walks from Waternook including Hallin Fell, towering above and behind Waternook. One of the best walks in the National Park is the trail that runs along the eastern shores of Ullswater. Experience this inspirational walk straight from Waternook, dominated by Place Fell, St Sunday Cragg, and Fairfield. (distance 7 miles).You will be able to ramble all day with a magnificent view always in your sight. For the return journey, board the steamboat from Glenridding to Howtown.
At the southern end of the Lake you will find Glenridding, a popular little village and an excellent base to explore plentiful challenging peaks but especially Helvellyn via Striding Edge – a long ambitious walk (8 miles + elevation change).
A gentler walk is Aira Force, probably the most famous of the Lake District waterfalls. The main force falls some 70ft below a stone footbridge – so don’t forget your camera. There are many walks of varying length here, the link following the 1 mile circular route up to the waterfall and back.
Pooley Bridge is a picturesque village at the northern most point of the lake and only 4 miles from Waternook; from here you can visit the wonderful market towns of Penrith and Keswick.
Getting on the water is easy especially from Waternook, with over half a mile of your very own Lake frontage! You can take a boat cruise on one of the five beautiful steamers in the Ullswater Steamer fleet. They run the boats from Glenridding, with piers also at Pooley Bridge, Aira Force and Howtown. It’s a great way to see the lake from a different perspective and well worth taking a camera.
Boat hire is readily available, where you have a varied selection of craft on offer including kayaks, sailing boats and little motorboats, along with hire of fishing tackle and licenses.
Further afield you have Keswick, the main town of the north lakes – a bustling market town set between the peaks of Skiddaw and the gentle beauty of Derwentwater. An all year round town there are good shops, a host of restaurants and cafes, along with museums, a theatre, cinema and leisure centre. The market towns of Penrith and Alston lie to the North West on the edge of the Eden Valley and are well worth a visit.
Back south, leaving Patterdale, you take the Kirkstone Pass which winds its way through high fell and brings you down to the south lakes and Windermere.
All in all there is a much to see and do, both around the lake and nearby areas, towns and villages where to get the best from your visit it is well worth investing in a few good guides and maps.
Kirkstone Pass from Patterdale to Ambleside is justifiably famous as a driving route and the Lakeland’s highest pass open to motor traffic.
The Honister Pass is a beautiful journey linking Keswick and Derwentwater with Buttermere, Crummock Water and Loweswater.
For the more adventurous guest there are a variety of outdoor activities to try out including pony trekking, mountain biking, sailing, paragliding and many more. Waternook’s concierge service is able to make arrangements for all of these activities.
CASTLES, HOUSES & GARDENS
Acorn Bank, National Trust Garden and Watermill (14.5 miles).
Hutton in the Forest House and gardens (15.5 miles).
Dalemain House, Gardens and Estate & Tea Room (6.5 miles).
Lowther Castle & Gardens and Lakeland Bird of Prey Centre (8.3 miles).
Appleby Castle, Boroughgate, Appleby-in-Westmorland (21 miles) dates back to the 11th century with an impressive Norman Keep and earthworks. The Great Hall has some fine paintings. The walled gardens, children’s play area and tea rooms cater to a variety of interests. Open 10am – 5pm from April – October.
Levens Hall historic house and gardens (41 miles) – a bit farther afield, but definitely worth the journey.
The Rheged Centre, Penrith (8.5 miles) – indoor soft play area, pottery painting, castle themed outdoor playground, large 3D cinema screen, collection of shops featuring local crafts, produce & restaurants.
Penrith Leisure Centre & Eden Climbing Wall, Penrith Leisure Centre, Penrith (9.2 miles) – Eden Climbing wall, gym, 25 meter indoor pool, 13 meter indoor learner pool, indoor bowls. Pay by activity available (no fixed membership necessary & very reasonable prices for activities). Please call to check times and activities.
Crafty Monkeys, 3 Corney Square, Penrith (10 miles). This is a welcoming pottery and crafts studio in the middle of Penrith which has a range of great activities for kids and adults including pottery wheels, pottery painting, glass painting, mosaic making, build a bear, plant pot painting.
Langwathby railway station (13 miles) is a stop on the Settle-Carlisle Railway, which is one of the most beautiful railway journeys in Britain. The line covers 70 miles of tracks with 20 major sandstone viaducts (including one 90 feet high at Ormonside) spanning various ravines and 14 tunnels. The railway offers service throughout the day with a number of small stops enroute and has periodic steam engine trips.
The Puzzling Place, Keswick (20 miles).
The Pencil Museum, Southey Works, Keswick (21 miles), home to the world’s longest colour pencil, which is nearly eight metres tall! Learn all about the history of pencil as well as taking part in creative workshops, discovering the Secret Pencil Exhibition and escape to the Kids Art Studio while the adults relax and have a cuppa and a sticky bun at the riverside location.
The World of Beatrix Potter, Bowness on Windermere (26 miles).
Whinlatter Forest, near Keswick (25 miles). Attractions include a Go Ape! high ropes course, mountain bike rental from Cyclewise – there are some great cycle trails through the woods, walking trails and a woodland based playground which connects via the trees to nine different play areas including stream based play and a great low level climbing wall.
Keswick Film Festival, Keswick (20 miles).
Words by the Water Festival of Words & Ideas, Theatre by the Lake, Keswick (21.5 miles).
World’s Original Marmalade Festival, Dalemain (6.5 miles).
Pirelli Carlisle Rally, Carlisle (29 miles).
Ullswater Daff Fest.
Ullswater Yacht Club annual Daffodil Regatta.
Melmerby May Day Festival, Melmerby (17 miles).
Langwathby May Day Festival (13 miles).
Keswick Beer Festival, Keswick (20 miles).
Appleby Horse Fair, Appleby-in-Westmorland (20 miles).
The Cumberland Show, Carlisle Racecourse (26 miles).
Ullswater Fair, Patterdale (13 miles).
Skelton Show, Old Park, Hutton-in-the Forest (15 miles).
Penrith Show, Brougham Hall Farm, Penrith (8.5 miles).
Great Musgrave Rush Bearing, Great Musgrave (28 miles).
Appleby Town Carnival, Appleby-in-Westmorland (20 miles).
Langwathby Scarecrow Festival, Langwathby (13 miles).
Derwent Water Regatta, Crow Park, Keswick (21 miles).
Kendal Calling, Lowther Deer Park (8 miles).
Fell Pony Breed Show, Dalemain (6.5 miles).
Appleby Show, near Appleby Golf Course (23 miles).
Lowther Show, Lowther Castle (8.3 miles).
Ravenstonedale Agricultural Show, Ravenstonedale (33 miles).
Crosby Ravensworth Show & Vintage Rally, Maulds Meaburn (19.4 miles).
Patterdale Dog Day, Patterdale (13 miles).
Great British Food Festival, Dalemain (6.5 miles).
Keswick Agricultural Show, Braithwaite, Keswick (22.5 miles).
Dufton Agricultural Show, Dufton (20.6 miles).
Ullswater Yacht Club annual August Regatta.
Hesket Newmarket Agricultural Show, Hesket Newmarket (19 miles).
Things you need to know about Waternook if you’re thinking of booking a holiday there:
- Smoking is not allowed inside any of our properties
- *Two well-behaved dogs are offered accommodation in the boot room (dog beds provided on request), which benefits from underfloor heating and fell views. Please keep pets in the boot room only
- Minimum 3 night weekend stay, 4 night mid-week stay or 7 night week long stay. Although there is a Friday and Monday changeover, we accept requests
- A damage deposit of £1000.00 will be requested one week before arrival. Full details will be provided along with the directions
- Guests are advised to take care when by the lakeside water’s edge. Children must be supervised at all times
- Waternook has its own private boathouse and jetty. Please speak to a member of the Bookings Team to discuss your requirements if you wish to bring a boat to Waternook
- No fireworks please
- Not suitable for hens and stag parties
- * Covid-19 measures for this property:
In full compliance with the hospitality industry cleaning protocols and safety guidance.
Intensively cleaned and sanitised.
Contact-free check in and check out.
Complete privacy and exclusive use of the cottage during your holiday.
Date changes for all existing and new bookings if the lockdown measures are extended or re-imposed.
*Internet access is offered at this property for recreational purposes only and is not meant for business use. Speed/service may vary depending on the package obtained by the owner which is provided to guests free of charge. Should guests experience difficulties or loss of use, neither the owner nor the agent will be held responsible.