- 3 Guests
- One double bedroom with single folding bed on request, one sofa bed
- One bathroom
- Children over 5 years old welcome
- Suitable for baby in own moses basket
- One well-behaved dog welcome
- Enclosed, paved private south facing terrace with furniture and roll-top bath
- Shared firepit barbecue in paddock
- Access to a paddock with field shelter for horses*
- Bed linen and towels provided
- Parking for 2 cars
- A gorgeous chocolate-box cob and thatched cottage in a lovely location, ideal for a romantic retreat.
- Original features include exposed oak beams, a large inglenook fireplace and eaves bedroom.
- A perfect haven to relax and recharge with a charming paved private terrace with outdoor seating and a roll-top bath with hand-held shower, star lights and curtains.
- Short and midweek breaks are available, with a minimum stay of 3 nights.
- The ideal setting for Autumn and Winter breaks – the cottage is warm and cosy with a wood burning stove and comfortable beds.
- There are a number of excellent pubs and restaurants nearby, with two lovely pubs within walking distance.
- Whatever time of year you book, there are always a number of glorious walks, including Holt Heath, a designated National Nature Reserve, offering plenty of marked footpaths and bridleways.
- A superb rural base from which to explore this fascinating area, including Wimborne Minster, the Dorset Heavy Horse Farm, Moors Valley Country Park, all less than 15 minutes’ drive.
- A 30 minute drive drive south takes you to the friendly seaside resort of Bournemouth and Poole Harbour.
- Within a short drive you can explore the New Forest National Park and its attractions including the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu.
- Ground floor:
Beamed sitting room with dining area, sofa bed and wood burning stove in inglenook fireplace. Door to the terrace from the sitting room.
Small, fitted kitchen with stairs up to the first floor.
- First floor:
Double bedroom in the eaves with single folding bed on request.
Eaves bathroom with bath, basin and WC.
- Electric wall-mounted panel heaters and wood burning stove (starter pack provided)
- Electric oven and hob, microwave, fridge, washing machine
- TV with Freeview, DVD, iPod dock
- WiFi internet access*
- Selection of books and games
- Undercover bike storage
- Shared firepit barbecue
- Off road parking for 2 cars
Longhouse Cottage, sleeping three, is chocolate-box, Grade ll listed cob and thatched cottage situated in the rural East Dorset hamlet of Mannington. This wing of the owners’ Dorset Longhouse is believed to date back 500 years, and was once an estate worker’s cottage on the Earl of Shaftesbury’s estate. The owner now runs a 7.5 acre equestrian and alpaca smallholding on-site.
Longhouse Cottage oozes charm and character with numerous oak beams and an attractive inglenook fireplace with a cosy wood burning stove in the beamed sitting room – a gorgeous place to snuggle up after a day exploring the area. From the sitting room is a door to the terrace, and also on the ground floor is a small, fitted kitchen with stairs up to the first floor.
Upstairs in the eaves is a lovely romantic bedroom with fairy lights around the bedhead and an adjacent stylish bathroom.
Outside, on the south-facing terrace, why not enjoy a glass of wine or indulge in a warm bubble bath in the roll-top bath, whilst gazing at the starlit sky?
Locally, you can walk or cycle across the nearby Holt Heath Nature Reserve or enjoy a trip to Moors Valley Country Park, where you can enjoy a peaceful walk or cycle ride through the forest, take a ride on narrow-gauge steam train or even Go Ape on a high wire forest adventure. There are also two lovely pubs within walking distance of your holiday property.
Explore the market town and ancient Minster at nearby Wimborne and discover the New Forest National Park with its wealth of history, stunning forests, attractions and intriguing tradition.
The lovely sandy beaches and attractions of the friendly seaside resort of Bournemouth, Poole Harbour and Salisbury’s splendid Cathedral are also easily accessible from Longhouse Cottage.
Treat yourself to a romantic rural Dorset escape at this gorgeous thatched cottage, a perfect holiday base at any time of the year.
2017-06-16 James Cutlan, Cornwall
”Lovely place to stay. All facilities of the Cottage were amazing and felt so homely and comforting. Would highly recommend to anyone who is looking for a nice break away in a peaceful area.”
2016-06-02 Julie Leddy, West Sussex
”Brilliant location, fabulous cottage and great hosts who were welcoming, friendly and really helpful. Gave lots of advice about the best places to visit.”
2016-03-09 Graham Rose, Portsmouth
”Longhouse Cottage had a beautiful exterior and interior. It was 5 star from beginning to end. We particularly liked the hospitality and warm welcome from the owner.”
ABOUT THE LOCATION
Wimborne Minster 5.5 miles; Ringwood 7 miles; New Forest National Park 9 miles; Bournemouth 16 miles.
The pretty hamlet of Mannington can be found in rural East Dorset, close to the borders of Dorset, Hampshire and Wiltshire, and only 6 miles from both Dorset’s Wimborne Minster and Hampshire’s Ringwood.
Mannington is situated on the edge of Holt Heath, a designated National Nature Reserve, managed by the National Trust, and is one of Dorset’s largest areas of heathland offering plenty of marked footpaths and bridleways, making it a lovely place to walk or cycle and also provides habitats for a wide range of plants, birds and animals, including Sand Lizards and Dartford Warblers.
Within a short drive you can explore Moors Valley Country Park, where you can stroll through the wooded glades, take a ride on the little railway, take part in the Go Ape high wire activities, or just simply enjoy a cream tea!
Alternatively, take a trip to the Heavy Horse Centre, visit the picturesque ancient town of Wimborne Minster with its colourful three day market, or the New Forest National Park, famous for its wild ponies, deer, pretty villages and quaint inns, as well as the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu.
An easy drive south takes you to the award-winning sandy beaches, great shops, theatres and cinemas at Bournemouth.
Mannington makes a super rural base from which to explore this fascinating area.
Things you need to know about Longhouse Cottage if you’re thinking of booking a holiday there:
- Smoking is not allowed inside any of our properties.
- One well-behaved dog welcome, to be kept on a lead at all times due to livestock nearby.
- The steep twisting cottage stairs may not be suitable for those with limited mobility.
- Sloping ceilings in bedroom and bathroom.
- Babes-in-arms and children over 5 years only.
- The cottage is accessed via 0.2 miles of unmade track.
- *There is a paddock with field shelter available for horses at an extra cost, please contact for more information.
- Minimum stay 3 nights except during school holidays which are a minimum of 7 nights, Friday to Friday.
*Internet access is offered at this property for recreational purposes only and is not meant for business use. Speed/service may vary depending on the package obtained by the owner which is provided to guests free of charge. Should guests experience difficulties or loss of use, neither the owner nor the agent will be held responsible