The Great Barn, sleeping eight over four luxury suites, exudes five Star luxury and has recently been rated ‘Top 3 in England’ by VisitEngland Awards for Excellence.
This quintessential 17th century converted barn overlooks the serene waters of Ullswater in the Lake District National Park, arguably boasting some of the most enviable views in the Lake District National Park. Set within 26 acres of private grounds with ½ mile of lake shoreline enjoying uninterrupted panoramic lake views across Ullswater to the Lakeland Fells beyond.
Taking advantage of its original design as a Bank Barn, The Great Barn fits comfortably into the landscape and its split level layout exploits both its secluded position and walls of glass almost bring the outside in!
Whether you access The Great Barn by road, water or air the scenery is stunning whatever the season. With the majestic landscape as the backdrop, relax on the patios, feast on the views, and enjoy the great outdoors.
Back inside, The Great Barn offers a truly magnificent and memorable setting whatever the occasion. The interior design is inspiring, incorporating the latest state of the art technology, so whether you are celebrating a happy event, searching for the perfect setting for an intimate wedding or just spending time with your favourite people, this is a sophisticated and luxurious property that is designed to make you want to return time and time again!
To complement your stay, the luxury self-catering accommodation offers an array of luxury concierge services. These range from private chefs and butlers to beauty treatments, personalised yoga lessons, sailing lessons and helicopter tours. In fact, Waternook is only too happy to help source your perfect activity or interest.
Two extremely well-behaved dogs are allowed in The Great Barn and dog beds can also be provided upon request.
This magnificent private estate comprises The Great Barn (sleeps 8) and Waternook (sleeps 12). Both properties can be booked separately or as one giving total exclusivity for 20. Both properties have been rated ‘Top 3 in England’ by VisitEngland Awards for Excellence’ in 2017, Top 50 Best Cottages in the UK & No.1 in The Lake District’ by The Times and ‘Top 12 party pads’ by The Sunday Times. Rated Visit England 5 Star Gold, they also won the 2016 Cumbria Tourism Awards as well as being featured on ITV’s This Morning and Lorraine.
Surrounded by stunning Lakeland fells, which are ideal for walking, The Great Barn is set amongst some of the most breathtaking scenery you’ll find in England. It is the perfect retreat for a relaxing get away and, for those thrill seekers looking for the next adrenalin rush, the perfect playground for adventure!
Nestled on the side of Hallin Fell there is an abundance of stunning walks to enjoy direct from your front door. If you would rather embark on your own Swallows and Amazons adventure there is a lot of Ullswater to explore and kayaks, canoes, paddle boards, motor boats and RYA sailing lessons can be arranged at the Ullswater Yacht Club. Waternook are also only too happy to arrange for private fishing tuition from one of the local qualified instructors.
For a day out with a difference, board one of the Ullswater Steamers which sail all year round and experience Ullswater in a completely different light. You can hop on at Howtown (just a short walk from Waternook) and trip around the lake jumping on and off at various locations including Glenridding, Aira Force and Pooley Bridge. From Glenridding you can take on the challenging trek leading up Helvellyn to Striding and Swirral Edges. Aira Force Waterfall boasts spectacular walks through the woodlands trailing alongside the rushing rapids.
Ullswater is one of many wonderful places in the Lake District offering visitors an experience that will be truly memorable. Unspoilt, untamed and bursting with everything the Lake District has to offer, it is a place that is relatively untouched by tourism and a place that offers a complete escape from our daily lives.
However you decide to enjoy your stay, you are certainly spoilt for choice, and there is certainly no finer place to escape to than The Great Barn for a memorable experience.
- Eight guests
- Four double bedrooms, all of which are en suite; one super king, two king and one double
- Four luxury stone or porcelain en suites with walk-in monsoon and raindrop showers. Designer bath in one bedroom
- Three of the bedrooms are on the ground floor
- Suitable for children and baby (travel cot and highchair available on request)
- Up to two well-behaved dogs welcome
- Half a mile of lake frontage and 26 acres of private estate grounds
- Lake view terraced gardens with seating
- Outdoor barbecue
- Boathouse with private jetty
- Additional luxury concierge services available on request including arrival by helicopter or yacht; country pursuits; wellness & cosmetic treatments; private butler service; chauffeur services; in-house cuisine; classic car hire; sailing school; private flying lessons; and child’s concierge & babysitting
- Sweeping private drive with secure parking. Security gate entry system
- Breathtaking panoramic views of lake and mountains
Complement your stay with one of the bespoke services on offer. Please contact us to discuss your personal needs, availability and prices.
- To make your occasion even more special why not arrange for a private chef and waiting staff to take care of your every need? A menu bespoke to you can be created, incorporating many fresh local ingredients. So, whether it’s a six course fine dining meal or more hearty home cooked food, the choice is yours.
- Whether it’s because you’re arriving late or just don’t fancy cooking, an array of pre-prepared gourmet meals that are chef prepared and flash frozen to lock in the freshness can be provided.
- The Great Barn can arrange for your own private butler to take care of the detail, leaving you free to socialise.
- The Great Barn offer luxury hampers with a wide selection of locally sourced, seasonal produce to suit discerning tastes. Please let us know your specific requirements in advance of your visit.
- Guests can land their helicopter on its own Helicopter Landing Zone and there is private mooring for guests arriving by yacht. Please contact us if you wish to make this a special occasion and hire a helicopter. Fast and luxurious flights and lakeland tours that are tailored to your personal needs can also be arranged.
- A range of country pursuits can be arranged for your stay. These include the option to embark on local shoots, local clay shooting, private fishing lessons, private guided walking and pony trekking.
- The Great Barn can make chauffeur arrangements to suit your personal requirements, whether it’s to arrange pickup from the local train station (Penrith) or airport (Manchester) or a private chauffeur for the week.
- For a special occasion or private event The Great Barn can arrange for a unique creation, hand-picked and arranged with the freshest flowers to embody the message you wish to convey.
- Enjoy your great escape at The Great Barn and discover the fresh air and magnificent landscape of The Lake District by hiring a classic car. A range of classic sports cars from the last 50 years are on offer; Triumph Stag, Triumph TR4A, Morris Mini Cooper S, Morgan 4/4, Morgan +4, Austin Healey Frogeye Sprite, Austin Healey 3000.
- Working in partnership with the Ullswater Yacht Club (a Royal Yachting Association champion club), The Great Barn can offer an introduction to sailing and RYA training for those wishing to improve their skills for pleasure or for racing.
- Private flying lessons – Enjoy the thrill of a lifetime by soaring over Ullswater and The Lake District National Park in a Gyrocopter, plane or helicopter. Whether you want to experience the exhilaration of being in control, or you prefer the instructor to fly, leaving you free to appreciate the mountain views and even take some photographs – it’s entirely up to you. Please note flights are weather dependent.
- A Child’s Concierge or professional babysitter can also be arranged, allowing you the freedom and flexibility you want whilst giving you absolute peace of mind. All babysitters are OFSTED registered childminders.
- Ground floor
The kitchen is built into an old stable stall originally dating back to the 1600’s. Now with a sleek, contemporary feel and views of Ullswater and the surrounding fells.
Utility room with coat/boot drying space.
Dining room with spectacular lake views of Ullswater and the surrounding mountains. In the warm summer evenings you can even fold back the oak doors and let the breeze drift in off the fells.
The Lake Room large sitting room dates back to the 1600’s and is a fantastic social place to relax in the company of friends, with fine furnishings, lake views and its own minstrel’s gallery. For that special occasion The Lake Room can be transformed into a banqueting or function room for anything from family gatherings and anniversaries to intimate wedding breakfasts and formal executive meetings and lectures.
Loadpot – Lake View bedroom with 4’6″ double bed with Vispring Elite mattress and en-suite natural stone shower room with walk in monsoon and raindrop shower. With original barn features, Loadpot relishes in sublime lake views, where you feel but a few metres from the water’s edge.
Butterwick – Bedroom with 5’ double bed with Vispring Elite mattress and en suite natural stone shower room with walk in monsoon and raindrop shower. Savour the moment in Butterwick. This room has original arrow-slit windows and a lovely calm, light and airy feeling. Dating back to the 17th Century, this room offers its guests a sensational space in which to enjoy their stay; all just a few steps from the lake shore.
Ravenhowe – Lake View bedroom with 5’ double bed with Vispring Elite mattress and en suite natural stone shower room with walk in monsoon and raindrop shower. Quite possibly one to fight over, Ravenhowe boasts private access to The Great Barn’s lake view terrace. On a sultry evening open your door to appreciate the Ullswater breeze.
- First floor
Cockpit – Lake view bedroom with 6’ Super King double bed with Vispring Elite mattress and en suite natural stone bathroom with bath and separate monsoon and raindrop shower. Dating back to the 17th Century Cockpit is a truly unique, quirky and characterful bedroom that still incorporates many original features.
- All bedrooms have:
Vi-Spring Elite mattress
Brinkhaus Pyrenean duck down pillows
Boutique quality linen
Flat Screen TV
Integrated Bluetooth music capability
Natural stone bathroom
Villeroy & Boch bathroom fittings
Monsoon and raindrop shower
- Biomass boiler underfloor heating
- Electric oven and induction hob, microwave, fridge, freezer, dishwasher, kettle tap, food waste disposal unit
- Utility room with washing machine, tumble dryer and coat/boot drying space
- TV with Sky Movies & Sky Sports in the Lake Room
- WiFi internet access throughout*
- Mood lighting and an integrated sound system are all controlled by iPad technology sunken into the wall
- Outdoor seating and barbecue
- Travel cot and highchair available on request
- Dog beds provided on request
- Secure bike and canoe storage
- Security gate entry system
- Ample on-site parking
OUR TOP 12 ULLSWATER ACTIVITIES
Ullswater is much more than scenic views and tasty teas around the lake – it’s all-action! You can click here to read our blog post ’Top 12 Ullswater Activities’.
The most popular pastime whilst at Waternook Estate is simply gazing out across the lake at the stunning Lakeland scenery, as William Wordsworth may have once enjoyed while composing the famous romantic poem, Daffodils. You might also like to stroll through the beautiful Lake District countryside that inspired Beatrix Potter to write her children’s books.
Waternook Estate boasts a private jetty and boathouse and there are 26 acres of gardens and grounds with half a mile of lake shore where you may wander at leisure.
Ullswater is thought by many to be the most beautiful of all the lakes in the English Lake District, a serpentine body of water snaking a nine mile course under the lea of magnificent fells, woodland and mountain. Much of the lake, its shore and surrounding fells are accessible for visitors to explore, where you will find some of the finest walks and water activities, along with the amenities of the lakeside villages.
The area is excellent for either touring or relaxing and there are many walks from Waternook including Hallin Fell, towering above and behind Waternook Estate. One of the best walks in the National Park is the trail that runs along the eastern shores of Ullswater. Experience this inspirational walk straight from Waternook, dominated by Place Fell, St Sunday Cragg, and Fairfield. (distance 7 miles).You will be able to ramble all day with a magnificent view always in your sight. For the return journey, board the steamboat from Glenridding to Howtown.
At the southern end of the Lake you will find Glenridding, a popular little village and an excellent base to explore plentiful challenging peaks but especially Helvellyn via Striding Edge – a long ambitious walk (8 miles + elevation change).
A gentler walk is Aira Force, probably the most famous of the Lake District waterfalls. The main force falls some 70ft below a stone footbridge – so don’t forget your camera. There are many walks of varying length here, the link following the 1 mile circular route up to the waterfall and back.
Getting on the water is easy especially from Waternook Estate, with over half a mile of your very own Lake frontage! You can take a boat cruise on one of the five beautiful steamers in the Ullswater Steamer fleet. They run the boats from Glenridding, with piers also at Pooley Bridge, Aira Force and Howtown. It’s a great way to see the lake from a different perspective and well worth taking a camera.
Boat hire is readily available, where you have a varied selection of craft on offer including kayaks, sailing boats and little motorboats, along with hire of fishing tackle and licenses.
Further afield you have Keswick, the main town of the north lakes – a bustling market town set between the peaks of Skiddaw and the gentle beauty of Derwentwater. An all year round town there are good shops, a host of restaurants and cafes, along with museums, a theatre, cinema and leisure centre. The market towns of Penrith and Alston lie to the North West on the edge of the Eden Valley and are well worth a visit.
Back south, leaving Patterdale, you take the Kirkstone Pass which winds its way through high fell and brings you down to the south lakes and Windermere.
All in all there is a much to see and do, both around the lake and nearby areas, towns and villages where to get the best from your visit it is well worth investing in a few good guides and maps.
Kirkstone Pass from Patterdale to Ambleside is justifiably famous as a driving route and the Lakeland’s highest pass open to motor traffic.
The Honister Pass is a beautiful journey linking Keswick and Derwentwater with Buttermere, Crummock Water and Loweswater.
For the more adventurous guest there are a variety of outdoor activities to try out including pony trekking, mountain biking, sailing, paragliding and many more. The Great Barn’s concierge service is able to make arrangements for all of these activities.
CASTLES, HOUSES & GARDENS
Acorn Bank, National Trust Garden and Watermill (14.5 miles).
Hutton in the Forest House and gardens (15.5 miles).
Dalemain House, Gardens and Estate & Tea Room (6.5 miles).
Appleby Castle, Boroughgate, Appleby-in-Westmorland (21 miles) dates back to the 11th century with an impressive Norman Keep and earthworks. The Great Hall has some fine paintings. The walled gardens, children’s play area and tea rooms cater to a variety of interests. Open 10am – 5pm from April – October.
Levens Hall historic house and gardens (41 miles) – a bit farther afield, but definitely worth the journey.
The Rheged Centre, Penrith (8.5 miles) – indoor soft play area, pottery painting, castle themed outdoor playground, large 3D cinema screen, collection of shops featuring local crafts, produce & restaurants.
Penrith Leisure Centre & Eden Climbing Wall, Penrith Leisure Centre, Penrith (9.2 miles) – Eden Climbing wall, gym, 25 meter indoor pool, 13 meter indoor learner pool, indoor bowls. Pay by activity available (no fixed membership necessary & very reasonable prices for activities). Please call to check times and activities.
Crafty Monkeys, 3 Corney Square, Penrith (10 miles). This is a welcoming pottery and crafts studio in the middle of Penrith which has a range of great activities for kids and adults including pottery wheels, pottery painting, glass painting, mosaic making, build a bear, plant pot painting.
Langwathby railway station (13 miles) is a stop on the Settle-Carlisle Railway, which is one of the most beautiful railway journeys in Britain. The line covers 70 miles of tracks with 20 major sandstone viaducts (including one 90 feet high at Ormonside) spanning various ravines and 14 tunnels. The railway offers service throughout the day with a number of small stops enroute and has periodic steam engine trips.
The Puzzling Place, Keswick (20 miles).
The Pencil Museum, Southey Works, Keswick (21 miles), home to the world’s longest colour pencil, which is nearly eight metres tall! Learn all about the history of pencil as well as taking part in creative workshops, discovering the Secret Pencil Exhibition and escape to the Kids Art Studio while the adults relax and have a cuppa and a sticky bun at the riverside location.
The World of Beatrix Potter, Bowness on Windermere (26 miles).
Whinlatter Forest, near Keswick (25 miles). Attractions include a Go Ape! high ropes course, mountain bike rental from Cyclewise – there are some great cycle trails through the woods, walking trails and a woodland based playground which connects via the trees to nine different play areas including stream based play and a great low level climbing wall.
EVENTS in 2017
16-19 Keswick Film Festival, Keswick (20 miles).
3-12 Words by the Water Festival of Words & Ideas, Theatre by the Lake, Keswick (21.5 miles).
18-19 World’s Original Marmalade Festival, Dalemain (6.5 miles).
29 – 30 Pirelli Carlisle Rally, Carlisle (29 miles).
Melmerby May Day Festival, Melmerby (17 miles).
20 Langwathby May Day Festival (13 miles).
2-3 Keswick Beer Festival, Keswick (20 miles).
8-14 Appleby Horse Fair, Appleby-in-Westmorland (20 miles).
17 The Cumberland Show, Carlisle Racecourse (26 miles).
Ullswater Fair, Patterdale (13 miles).
1 Skelton Show, Old Park, Hutton-in-the Forest (15 miles).
22 Penrith Show, Brougham Hall Farm, Penrith (8.5 miles).
Great Musgrave Rush Bearing, Great Musgrave (28 miles).
Appleby Town Carnival, Appleby-in-Westmorland (20 miles).
Langwathby Scarecrow Festival, Langwathby (13 miles).
Derwent Water Regatta, Crow Park, Keswick (21 miles).
27-30 Kendal Calling, Lowther Deer Park (8 miles).
Fell Pony Breed Show, Dalemain (6.5 miles).
Appleby Show, near Appleby Golf Course (23 miles).
12-13 Lowther Show, Lowther Castle (8.3 miles).
Ravenstonedale Agricultural Show, Ravenstonedale (33 miles).
Crosby Ravensworth Show & Vintage Rally, Maulds Meaburn (19.4 miles).
Patterdale Dog Day, Patterdale (13 miles).
Great British Food Festival, Dalemain (6.5 miles).
Keswick Agricultural Show, Braithwaite, Keswick (22.5 miles).
Dufton Agricultural Show, Dufton (20.6 miles).
Hesket Newmarket Agricultural Show, Hesket Newmarket (19 miles).
Things you need to know about The Great Barn if you’re thinking of booking a holiday there:
- Smoking is not allowed inside any of our properties
- Two extremely well-behaved dogs are allowed and dogs beds can also be provided upon request. Please keep your pets off furniture and on the ground floor
- Minimum 3 night weekend stay, 4 night mid-week stay or 7 night week long stay. Although there is a Friday and Monday changeover, we accept requests
- A damage deposit of £1000.00 will be requested one week before arrival. Full details will be provided along with the directions
- Please note that special arrangements need to be made for any event exceeding the eight people being accommodated in The Great Barn. If you would like to host a special event or function at The Great Barn please speak to a member of our Bookings Team for further information
- Guests are advised to take care when by the lakeside water’s edge. Children must be supervised at all times
- Guests should take care on the spiral staircase leading to the upstairs bedroom
- There are some low beams in the property
- The estate has its own private boathouse and jetty. Please speak to a member of the Bookings Team to discuss your requirements if you wish to bring a boat to The Great Barn
- The Great Barn has WiFi capability installed but speeds are slow due to the proximity of the mountains
- No fireworks please
- Not suitable for hens and stag parties
*Internet access is offered at this property for recreational purposes only and is not meant for business use. Speed/service may vary depending on the package obtained by the owner which is provided to guests free of charge. Should guests experience difficulties or loss of use, neither the owner nor the agent will be held responsible.