This self-contained wing of the owners’ house has been cleverly renovated and is well furnished, incorporating an inglenook fireplace with a warming wood burning stove in the open plan living area, a cosy double bedroom, and a superb roll-top bath and separate shower cubicle in the first floor bathroom.
This Sherborne cottage is close to open countryside, offering many lovely rural walks, with the local shop and pub both a short stroll away. There’s even a ‘halt’ on the nearby railway, which can conveniently take you to the lovely city of Bath.
A short drive takes you to the charming picturesque town of Sherborne on the Somerset border. The town has a number of buildings of historical interest, from the golden coloured Sherborne abbey, built in 705 as a Saxon cathedral, to its iconic castles. There are actually two castles within the town – the ruins of the original castle and the ‘new’ castle, built by Sir Walter Raleigh – where you can relax by the stunning lake or wander through the lovely gardens.
Other attractions to explore include the ancient hilltop town of Shaftesbury, the Fleet Air Arm Museum at Yeovilton, and several National Trust properties.
Candy Cottage offers a cosy, romantic village base from which to explore this lovely area, at any time of the year!
- 2 Guests
- One double bedroom
- One bathroom
- One well-behaved dog welcome
- Bed linen and towels included
- Parking for two cars
- Ideal for a romantic retreat, Candy Cottage has kept many of its original charms, with a wood burning stove in a period stone inglenook, roll top bath and elegant furnishings.
- A relaxing home-from-home designed with your comfort and relaxation in mind, well equipped with great attention to detail.
- Whatever time of year you book, there is lovely countryside to explore, including walks from the doorstep.
- There is an excellent pub in the village, The King’s Arms, and a lovely village shop just five minutes’ walk away.
- Only 9 minutes’ drive from the picturesque market town of Sherborne, well known for its castles and abbey, and where you can browse the array of interesting shops, pubs and eating places.
- A relaxing base from which to explore the idyllic Dorset and Somerset countryside, villages and inns, historic buildings, stately homes and gardens.
- Short and mid week breaks are available, with a minimum stay of three nights.
- Ground floor:
Open plan living space, comprising a fitted kitchen, dining area and sitting area with a wood burning stove.
- First floor:
Luxurious bathroom with freestanding roll-top bath, separate shower, basin and WC.
- Night storage heaters in sitting room and bedroom, underfloor heating in bathroom and wood burning stove (starter pack provided)
- Electric oven, ceramic hob, microwave, fridge
- TV with Freeview, DVD, selection of books and games
- Roadside parking for 2 cars
It’s situated in a quiet little village with a very nice pub in walking distance which was a bonus !”
Sherborne 3 miles.
A most attractive north west Dorset village, Thornford is only 3 miles from the ancient town of Sherborne.
Over 20 historic cottages make up the conservation area at the centre of Thornford, which boasts a pub, local shop and a Post Office, as well as a ‘halt’ on the railway line linking Weymouth with Bristol. The village is surrounded by an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, bursting with lovely rural walks.
A 9 minute drive takes you into Sherborne, well known for its castle and abbey, and where you can browse the array of interesting shops and restaurants.
Good transport links ensure that visits further afield to historic Bath, Stourhead, and Salisbury, as well as the stunning Jurassic Coast, are easily made.
Candy Cottage really is a great touring base for visiting this lovely area.
Things you need to know about Candy Cottage if you’re thinking of booking a holiday there:
- Smoking is not allowed inside any of our properties
- Steep twisting cottage stairs, may be unsuitable for the infirm
- One well-behaved dog welcome
- Minimum stay 3 nights in off peak periods. Minimum stay 7 nights Saturday to Saturday during Summer High season.